Page 1: Before you begin
Thank you for your interest in studying for your PhD with the GW4 FRESH NERC Centre for Doctoral Training.
The deadline for applications is 9am on Monday 16th December 2019.
You can save the form and complete in stages BUT after you submit you cannot go back to edit or change your answers. IMPORTANT - Download and save a copy of your application form directly after you submit your answers - you have only 15 minutes to do this.
After the application closing date the project supervisor will contact you to arrange an interview if you meet their criteria, to discuss the project and your application, and will let you know if they also require references/transcripts. This will take place by 14th January and can be in person or via phone/video call. The Lead supervisor of your project(s) will be sent a copy of this application form before that meeting (less the E&D section). Project supervisors will put forward their first choice candidate for interview by a central CDT panel, and will shortlist candidates on the basis of this application form against the following criteria:
- proven academic quality: normally evidenced by an excellent performance at first degree and/or Master’s level, but may also be demonstrated by a record of relevant professional practice;
- research potential: evidenced through application responses and supported by performance in research projects at first degree and/or Master’s level, or another form of dedicated preparation for research;
- personal motivation and commitment: evidenced through application responses, by enthusiasm for the project area, and in relation to career goals.
All applicants will be informed of the shortlisting outcome by 5pm on 20th January 2020.
If you are shortlisted you will need to:
- arrange for two referees to send references to the CDT by 5pm on 22nd January
- send a copy of your academic transcript(s) by 5pm on 22nd January
- attend an interview in Cardiff in w/c 17th February (tbc) .
Further details will be included in the shortlisting letter.
Please note: This application is for the studentship known as an 'Offer of Funding'. You may also need to apply for admission, known as an 'Offer to Study', from your chosen University/Universities by completing their institutional application process (please see website for details).